Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Speak Now... Mean

Yesterday I neglected to post my blog.  *GASP*  In an effort to juggle an extra ball or 2, I simply forgot.  I promise to keep today's post short & sweet, to the best of my ability.  Just know that the tastiest morsel is not at the beginning, it's at the end.  


I think it's clear that my household is full of Taylor Swift fans.  My youngest son blushes when you mention her name, song, or any Taylor Swift related topic.  Is it any surprise that we rushed to get the Target exclusive version of her latest cd, Speak Now, on it's release day?  Of course it's not.    


One of the extra features from Target's special cd includes the music video "Mine,"  as well as behind the scenes and on the set of the shoot.  Beautiful picturesque Kennebunkport, Maine is the backdrop for this fabulous musical vision.  What's not to love about that?  Nothing.  Especially since we have family members who were actually working nearby while filming was taking place.  


Now, I should get to the short & sweet part of today's post rather than fill you up with endless facts about this amazing new album by Miss Swift.  However, I must add that it's full of FABULOUS music.  She never ceases to impress me with her lyrics and musical talents.


As I listened to Taylor's 6th musical selection, "Mean," I heard something more to the lyrics than she implies.  Imagine yourself as a child growing up in an abusive home and hearing the words of this song...


"Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me, and all you're ever gonna be is mean, why ya gotta be so mean...  I bet you got pushed around, somebody made you cold, but the cycle ends right now, cause you can't lead me down that road..."  

Now picture yourself as that same child now grown into an adult...  Can you feel the emotion and power in those words?  I most certainly can.  


If you hear me singing this song at the top of my lungs on various occasions and notice a little extra heart to it or see a little extra depth in my eyes, you'll know where my mind is.  Gratitude pours from my heart to know that I have a husband who loves and protects me.  As a father, he's incredible.  I've seen the flip side of the coin and I will tell you every day just how very lucky I am.  The chain can be broken.  That's why I choose to speak...  or as Taylor Swift's latest album says... speak now.


If you or someone you know needs help please take a moment to view this website:   

http://www.domesticviolence.org/

If you feel unsafe while viewing the site, you will find a quick exit on the upper right side by clicking on the words "leave this site quickly."  

1 comment:

  1. The cycle ends right now with you and others that are brave enough to stand up for themselves and others. Great song! :O)

    ReplyDelete