Wednesday, February 17, 2010

40 Days And 40 Nights

Do you observe Lent?  I'm not Catholic, or another Lent observing denomination, but I have observed a number of people declaring what they have chosen to abstain from during the next 40 days.  Many of my friends have decided to give up social networking sites, such as Facebook and Twitter, for Lent this year.  As, "see you in 40 days Facebook friends," has been popping up amongst the status updates, I had a random thought.  Of course, I'm going to share it with you!

In 2002 Josh Hartnett and Shannyn Sossamon starred in a R rated romantic comedy called 40 Days and 40 Nights.  While this movie is not religious, you may have guessed that it is about giving something up for Lent.  That something just happens to be sex.  *Gasp!  Did she just say sex???*  Well, you know what they say...  Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.  Maybe that's not exactly what is said, but it certainly fits this movie.  No matter how exaggerated the film may be, it does give you a glimpse at how people struggle with their own vices and becoming a more "complete" person.

Do you observe Lent?  If you do, what are you giving up for the next 40 days?  If you don't observe Lent, what is one of you vices that you struggle with?  Have you considered giving it up?  Maybe now is the time to give it a shot.  Have you seen 40 Day and 40 Nights?  It's been a very long time since I've watch the Josh Hartnett flick, so I can't say if I would recommend it today or not.  I will however dig it out for another viewing and let you know if I laugh as much as I remember doing a few years ago.

Good luck to those observing Lent!

*****
On another note...
I'm a bit behind on reading/commenting on other blogs!  Illness has struck our home once again, so I've been a bit distracted!  Hopefully I can catch up with some of your blogs before the week is over!


3 comments:

  1. Facebook and Twitter! If I survive this I will officially be a saint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't give anything up for Lent because my attitude is usually not in the right place--it becomes a competition for perfection. I try to just bask in my Savior's love for me instead!

    I have an award for you on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MB- I guess I am giving something up too... seeing you on FB and just opening the chat up to talk so easily! That has to count for something. lol

    Jill- Thanks for the award!!! I think you are right about having the right attitude. Basking in the Savior's love is always a wonderful way to live!

    ReplyDelete