Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Helpful Blogger Award

I recently received the "Helpful Blogger Award" from Jill Kemerer.  I thought that today would be the perfect day to post about this honor.  In part, because I'm still playing catch up and my mind isn't yet properly functioning, so this is an easy way to choose a topic.  Before I begin, I want to thank Jill for bestowing me with this award.  Thanks Jill!  I feel special!  Now, on with the rules...

1. Post one thing no one knows about me.
2. Quote one sentence from a favorite book.
3. Pass it on to seven bloggers.

Let's begin!

1.  I'm almost certain that none of you, or at least very few of you, are aware that I have a condition known as scoliosis.  It is a word derived from Greek that means crooked or crooked condition.  Simply put, scoliosis is a curvature of the spine.  When I was in middle school, simple tests were done on all of the students in my grade.  Basically, you stood straight as they checked to see if your shoulders and hips were level before bending to touch your toes as they followed your spine with their hand.  I failed.  The result was a trip to our family doctor, and x-rays if I remember correctly, to determine the severity of my case.  Thankfully, it was diagnosed as mild and the progression (or lack there of)  was to be observed.  I am grateful that I was able to proceed through life without a brace or surgery, although I do have back pain from time to time. 

2.  This is the most difficult task!  How can I quote just one line from only one of my favorite books?  I have so many and my mind is bouncing here and there and everywhere (just like the gummy bears) as I try to determine what story, and a snippet of it's beautiful words, to choose.  In the abundance of reading I've done in my life, my childhood favorites always remind me of why I fell in love with the written word.  On display in my living room is one of those special books, so I have decided to share a piece of that one with you.  My mind and heart always cling to a moment in the beloved story when the young female character shows kindness and selflessness towards 3 mistreated boys.  The young heroine spends her entire "dollar's worth" on these heartbroken souls and brightens their world a tiny bit.  I give you a quote (although I must share more than just one sentence) from Chapter 14, A Dollar's Worth, of Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink. 

"Well, young lady," said Mr. Adams with an amused twinkle in his eye, "now your dollar's gone, and you didn't get a thing out of it for yourself."

"Oh, yes, I did, Mr. Adams!" she cried, and then she stopped.  It was no use trying to tell a grownup.  It was hard even to explain to herself.  And yet she'd had her dollar's worth. 

  It's stories like these that shape the character of our own hearts.  

3.  I shall be passing this award on to the following 7 helpful crafty blogs... please step forward and accept your award:



*****

In the spirit of the award...  
What have you done to be helpful recently?  How has someone been helpful to you?

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!

    So many people have been helpful it's hard to name any names. I feel blessed to have all of my blogging friends- my cup overflows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scoliosis can be very painful. Glad your's seems to be mild. Hugs to you today :O)

    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here I thought for Sure I would know before I read. Apparently I Don't know EVERYTHING about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tamika :)

    Diane-Hugs back at you! :)

    MB- I stumped you! LOL It's shocking and nearly impossible!

    ReplyDelete